Chronic Illness Survival Kit

Having a chronic illness isn’t easy, but it helps to keep with you a few things that can make it at least a little more manageable. Below are 8 things that I take out with me wherever I go that can make things a little easier:

1. Instant Hand Warmers
My pain can flare up at any moment, and so it is good to have small, simple ways to ease it a little. Heat helps, but I cannot take a hot water bottle everywhere with me. Instead, I carry about some of the clickable instant hand warmers that people normally use during the winter. These are easy to carry around and activate when I need them. To reset them, I simply boil them when I get home. BONUS: use them just after you have boiled them and then activate them later on to get two uses out of them each time! Make sure not to burn yourself though.

2. Spare Tablets
So often I forget to take my tablets, and so I have a little strip of each of my tablets kept in a purse when I can easily take around with me. This means that if I forget to take my tablets before going out or end up out longer than expected I always have some there. I also keep with me tablets especially for when my symptoms flare up, just in case.

3. Water Bottle
I always make sure to stay hydrated, but when I am out and about it is even more important. If I am more active or doing a lot of walking around I get very tired and having water with me allows me to find somewhere to stop, have a drink, and rest for a moment. I also need to be careful as becoming dehydrated can cause a headache, which could then go on to trigger a migraine.

4.  Diary
My illnesses cause cognitive issues including confusion and forgetfulness. I also then panic if I am feeling overwhelmed. Having a diary where I can write everything down and plan it out allows me to stay on top of all my appointments and not get too worked up about them.

5.  Mini-fan
Part of my illnesses is that I cannot control my body temperature. If a room is slightly warm it could send me into a hot flush, and vice-versa. Heat waves during the summer can be unbearable and, unlike during the winter, I cannot just add more layers of clothes or move indoors. In the UK we also don’t have air conditioning, just central heating. Having a mini-fan with me means that if I get too hot I can cool myself down and stop myself from becoming more ill.

6.  Fidget Cube
All of my illnesses brought with them a variety of medical conditions, one of which being anxiety. Sometimes fidget toys can become over-popularised (like the fidget spinner craze) but for those who need them they can really help. Before I had my fidget cube I used to scratch my knuckles until they bled and scabbed and then I’d do it all over again. I felt as if it helped me keep a lid on my anxiety. Someone then recommended a fidget toy and it had helped tremendously. It is small enough that I can hold it in one hand and discretely play with it to keep me calm when I get anxious.

7.  Earphones
When on public transport or in crowded places my anxiety can flare up and another way that I control this is by using earphones. I can play music to distract me or I find it helpful to listen to calming music or ASMR to crown out the buzz and make the place feel quieter and calmer. I personally enjoy listening to Harry Potter ASMR (don’t judge me, I am a giant nerd), as they have ones that sound like the common rooms and it just feels like I am sitting at home in my bedroom.

8.  Tissues
Between my allergies and constantly getting colds due to my weakened immune system, I am always in need of tissues. My skin conditions mean that I can be very sensitive and like a particular brand of tissues, so I always make sure to have some with me. I can also get very teary when I am feeling ill or my depression is bad or I have a panic attack and so having tissues on hand can make things easier.

These things might not work for everyone – and they don’t help with everything – but for me they make getting out of the house easier and less stressful. Do you have anything that you swear by to help you with this?

Keep an eye out for my blog post about things I keep in my bedroom which makes my life more comfortable – COMING SOON! 
Latest blogging assignments
blogl
HIBS100 Index of Home and Interior Blogs
HIBS100

Comments

  1. Alex its a nice initiative you've taken. I hope you to recover soon, and get back to the job you loved and do all those things you abandoned for this chronic illness. In case of foot pain you must consult a highly skilled Podiatrist in New York City , who can treat all sorts of foot and ankle conditions with more personalized treatment procedures.
    Hope to see your blog where you mention that you've got better! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to hear about your mother but very glad that you have found something that works for you :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

What 'Five Feet Apart' Means to Me as a Chronically Ill Teen